Thursday, June 23, 2011

Got To Be Real!



Have you ever encountered something or someone who appeared so perfect, so beautiful, colorful, happy, spiritual, squeaky clean and well, just down right angelic?  Chances are that as a result of this encounter you've walked away feeling inadequate or even ashamed of your perceived "imperfections".  Or perhaps you were so concerned with what others would think that you went out of your way to project the appearance of perfection: the "right" clothes, job, car, relationship?  We've all experienced both scenarios in one way or another.

The reality beneath outward signs of perfection is that most often things are never as flawless as they appear on the surface.  Very often it's a fear of judgement that causes us to mask our true identity.  We tend to be so worried about what others will think that we conceal who we really are.

The practice of yoga teaches us to find the
REAL person beneath the smoke and mirrors. We learn that our true nature is nothing to be ashamed of, but rather to be celebrated and embraced.

Yoga is not about perfecting the physical body nor is it hiding behind a false notion of what a spiritual person is supposed to look or act like.  Instead, through the postures (asana), breathing techniques (pranayama), meditation, and a good old fashioned honest look at the way we behave towards ourselves and others (both on the mat and in everyday life), we become more grounded and present.
In the roots of the present moment we begin to embrace the parts of ourselves that aren't so squeaky clean - warts and all.  We begin to realize that there's nothing to be ashamed of. We're all human. We all make mistakes. And from that ground of truth we set about acting and living in a way that reflects the best of what our true spirit has to offer.


Until next time peeps-be real!
k




Today's readings:

Imperfection by David Whalen

There’s something to be said
for imperfection

Something to be praised
in things cracked and crazed

For there’s something unsettled
That makes me feel nettled

And something in perfection
That leaves me dismayed

Give me a nick
on the lip of my cup

Give me bird poo
on my car

Give me a rip,
a tear or a stain

I’m perfectly happy
With imperfection by far.



Perfect Imperfection by Melissa Bachara

I am a contradiction
a perfect imperfection
On looking in from outside
I think I’d pass inspection

My nails are neat, each hair in place
My clothes the latest styles
But look a little closer,
And you can see my trials

The window to my balanced soul
Is stained from too much smoke
A birds eye view down at my heart
Will clearly show it’s broke

My best intentions lead to pain
And complicated messes
My head is filled with wishes,
My decisions second guesses

There was a time I tried to hide
each wrinkle, scar and tear
But I’m learning to appreciate
That I’m more than I appear

Each wrinkle tells a story
The path from there to here
I’ve earned a little wisdom
With every falling tear

My soul will soar in brilliant skies
But then I’ll need to rest
The embers of my passion
Still smolder in my chest

Perhaps I’ll let my hair go wild
And skip the manicure
I’ll wear my favorite color
They’ll say "Hey, look at her"

My hair, my heart, my clothes, my soul
Will walk in one direction
No longer contradicting
My perfect imperfection

1 comment:

  1. One of my teachers, Erich Schiffmann just posted this link: http://lifebeyondlogic.com/ to a blog post discussing perfection and the present moment! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete